Launched in 2018, Rostella is based in the heart of Cardiff and is an exciting new provider of car insurance services. We’re a data-driven, agile company where everyone is encouraged to come up with ideas and help implement them to continually improve what we do and how we do it. Our aim is to create and maintain an industry-leading UX and customer experience. All in an exciting, fast-paced, adapt-and-learn environment.
Rostella provides these services to its sister company Hedgehog; an online-only car insurer that empowers the customer to manage their policy online.
About the role
This is a rare opportunity to join and experience working in a company at the start of an exciting journey. As our Front End Developer, you’ll work closely with our UX Manager to design and develop better journeys for users of the Hedgehog website and our policyholders, across all device and browser types.
As a fast-growing, ambitious company, we are continually evolving and improving what we do. This role will allow you to be a very significant part in helping us to shape the business moving forward. This will be achieved through the development, testing and publication of our customer-facing website.
We take user, customer and colleague feedback very seriously. We proactively make improvements to journeys from understanding reviews, watching session recordings, reading chat transcripts and anywhere else we can find information that helps us to effectively solve issues.
The Front End Developer will ultimately have a key role in increasing volumes of our policyholders, assisting with improvements to the user journey and ensuring that our customers’ online account area remains functional and simple to navigate.
Main duties & responsibilities
- Work with the UX Manager to create features that can be tested and optimised, to continuously improve the UX and results, across all device and browser types
- Development, testing, publication and monitoring of the static customer-facing website, elements of the new business journey and the online customer account
- Developing from technical and functional specifications
- We deploy frequently, so adherence to agile scrum methodology
- The role is based in Cardiff; however, you will be working closely with our wider development team in Maidenhead
- Developing A/B tests for UX/UI designs and their functionality
- Identifying bugs and deploying hotfixes as needed
- Experience of HTML5 tags and know how to use them. Write semantically correct HTML
- Experience of all the CSS properties and selectors. Use media queries.
- We use SASS/CSS to flavour common CSS for our site, and also as part of Angular
- Use the TypeScript-based web application framework to create encapsulated structured program logic with HTML templates
- Our stack is deployed to Amazon Web Services. Devs should understand the products we use – such as EC2, S3, Elasticache redis – and be aware of other Amazon products and suggest their use where appropriate
- Understand how our build tool Orca works and be able to contribute to its development
- Experience with project management toolsets, such as Jira / Confluence or similar
- An interest in creating scientifically proven design and functionality
- An understanding and interest in behavioural differences and tailored user journeys
- Excellent attention to detail
- Keen to learn new technologies and introduce them to the business
- Ability to organise and prioritise workloads
- Excellent communication skills with colleagues at all levels within the organisation
- Ability to transfer knowledge between other members of the team
- Ability to understand a technical brief and challenge it if necessary
- Resolve problems in a calm and effective manner, knowing when to escalate issues
- Time management skills to hit deadlines
- A team player who is happy to ‘get stuck in’ whenever needed
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs including English Language and Mathematics
- Minimum of 2 years’ front-end development experience (essential)
- Knowledge and experience of the insurance sector (desirable)
- Up to £40,000 salary (dependent upon experience)
- A generous 25 days’ holiday allocation plus bank holidays
- Discounted car parking in Cardiff centre (optional)
- Free breakfast from Milk & Sugar to kick start your week every Monday morning
- Discounted food and drink at a local outlet
- Enrolment into a NEST pension